by Prof Dr Ramli Musa under Patient Education April 22 2011
Modern Psychiatry & Psychology has drafted guidelines on many aspects such as Anger Management, Breathing Exercise and etc.
Ironically not many of us as Muslim doctors are aware that Islam has its own unique ways to deal with these issues in psychology:
ANGER MANAGEMENT IN ISLAM
Islam has acknowledged that to be angry is okay but you have to know how to contain it and deal with it properly. in the Qur’an, Allah says:
“And when your Lord said to the angels, “I am creating successors on the earth.” They said, “Will You create on it those who will spread corruption and spill blood, although we celebrate Your praise and extol Your Holiness?” He said,” I know what you do not know.” (Qur’an 2:30) I quote from surah Al Baqarah (surah terpanjang dlm Quran)
Abu Hurayrah relates that a man said to the Prophet: “Counsel me.” The Prophet SAW said: “Do not get angry.” The man repeated his request many times, but the Prophet SAW kept saying: “Do not get angry.” [al-Bukhari ] hadis yang sahih….
When you are in anger, these steps are suggested to adopt
1. To take wuduk and perform prayer (solat sunat)
2. Doing zikir & salawat to Prophet Muhammad SAW
3. If you are standing then sit down, if you are sitting down then lying down. If you still feel angry while lying down, then I think try yr best to fall asleep. (I suppose)
4. To recite surah Taha verse 1-5
5. My next suggestion is, the easy way is to leave the place or avoid confronting the person that caused you to be angry; this is to avoid further worsening of the situation. Leaving does not mean surrender or lost.
Islam has taught us how to do “breathing technique” which is proven to be effective in Panic Disorder or GAD; that is by reciting any surah in Quran with proper “tajwid”. When we properly reciting Quran we tend to control of breathing by taking deep breath and exhale it slowly upon recitation of the verses.
Does this look exactly like breathing technique? Plus a bonus for you for chosen this approach; that is “pahala”
Nowadays we have the tendency to adopt Yoga as a form of relaxation technique. Do you aware performing solat with full conviction and “kyushuk” is a form of relaxation. It’s even has a few advantages such as closer to Allah SA to request from Him for you wellness and spiritually strong.